Many people are interested in hiking, but hiking is strenuous. One of the most challenging parts is packing your backpack with all the gear you need for a day hike.
This includes water, food, and shelter from harsh weather like rain or snow. One way to make carrying these items easier on your back during long hikes is by using a pack with a reservoir built into it that can be filled with fresh water while on the trail.
We recommend this type of pack because it will not only help keep your back healthy but also provide clean drinking water throughout the entire trip!
When shopping for a backpack water reservoir, you will want to make sure it does not take up too much room for all your hiking gear (food, first aid kit, clothes). It should include features like insulated tubes and quick-release valves. The best backpack water reservoirs to carry to your hike should also be leak-proof.
Table of Contents
Why not just use a normal water bottle or flask?
There are several advantages to using a bladder over using a normal bottle or flask. Here are a few reasons why:
- Larger Capacity:Usually the normal water bottle cannot hold allot of water where as water bladders can hold up to 2–3 liters of water.
- Even distribution of weight: when using a water bladder the water is spread over a larger surface area across you back, reducing the strain on your shoulders and making it easier to carry.
- Hands Free: You do not need to take off a hydration bladder to drink water, the bladder uses a bite valve to enable you to conveniently drink water on the go.
- Hygiene:A normal water bottle can not be thoroughly cleaned like a hydration bladder can be cleaned.
Top 6 Water Bladder Hydration Reservoirs for Hiking
Our post, “Top 6 Backpack Water Reservoirs for Hiking,” will highlight a variety of the most functional backpack water reservoirs on Amazon.
Check out our list below of some great packs to choose from, and then enjoy exploring nature without worrying about running out of hydration along the way!
First up in our “Top 6 Water Bladder Hydration Reservoirs for Hiking” is the 3L Hydration Bladder 3 Liter 100oz Water Bladder Hydration Reservoir. This military-grade hydration water bladder is thick, BPA-free, and made of food-grade TPU material and includes a TPU drinking tube.
With this water bladder, your water will remain clean and tasty. It also has an insulator sleeve coated around the tube which reduces the temperature change of the water flow running through the tube from the hydration reservoir.
The detachable hose can be easily connected or disconnected by a single hand. The water bladder will also not leak and it is sealed on its edges making it highly tolerant to pressure.
It has a high flow rate of water per sip and there is a dust cover that helps keep the mouthpiece of the water reservoir clean. The opening of the reservoir’s mouth is wide, making the cleaning and refilling a breeze!
- The rate of water flow is high
- Temperature changes are minimal
- Easy to clean and refill
- Sucking water off it is not easy as the tube’s material is a bit thick
- The capacity of three liters may not be enough
It also tough and does not quickly wear out due to pressure. This water reservoir will easily deal with temperature changes for a cool drink on demand. It has a large opening to allow you to access the inner surface easily during cleaning.
The Aquatic Way Hydration Bladder Water Reservoir’s bladder will hold water even with the tube is removed. You can easily add ice into this water reservoir or keep it in an icebox or refrigerator.
It has a quick-release connector mechanism that will allow you to attach and detach the hose with a single click. This means you will face zero hassle whenever you try to screw it on the reservoir bag!
- Quick-release mechanism allows easy attaching and detaching of hose
- Your water will not be contaminated
- Has a leak-proof sealing technology
- It may come with a chemical taste
- Only holds two liters of water
- Hose may be difficult to connect
Another good water bladder reservoir in our “Top 6 Water Bladder Hydration Reservoirs for Hiking” is the Unigear Hydration Water Bladder Reservoir. It is high-quality TPU flexible food-grade material that is also BPA Free! The odor and taste of your water will be fresh.
It has a low-profile design suitable for unmatched stability, which will reduce the movement of your water when you are running or jumping. It has a large opening for easier cleaning and it’s easy to add ice cubes into it. It is also leakproof and the mouthpiece is soft to allow you to sip easily.
- Multiple sizes to choose from
- Easy to fill and clean
- Water is tasteless and safe
- No temperature changes
- Does not have a cap to cover the mouthpiece
- The mouthpiece has a “rubbery taste.”
The hydration bladder will therefore not move around irritatingly. It has a magnetic bite valve attachment system that will go a long way in ensuring sipping your water from this hydration bladder is hassle-free.
It can hold up to three liters of water, thereby ensuring you always remain hydrated.
- It is leak-proof due to a dry lock magnetic bite valve
- It has a one-handed lock-and-go linkage system
- It is a bit soft and can get damaged easily
- Low capacity of just 3 liters
It has excellent elasticity and bending resistance, making it easier to adjust position during drinking and helps to keep the water flowing smoothly.
There is a quick-release insulation tube where the shutoff valve will prevent the tube from leaking even if the tube is disconnected! The tube of this hydration bladder is covered with an insulating, waterproof, Neoprene sleeve to prevent water in the tube from freezing during winter conditions and from overheating by direct sunlight during summer hikes.
This water reservoir has a 360-degree, rotatable, soft bite valve which makes drinking easy! Other features include a soft, silicone mouthpiece and a dust cap that will protect the mouthpiece from dust and dirt. A great option to consider!
- There is a line down the middle to keep the hydration bladder flat
- There is an easy-to-use valve
- The whole reservoir is quick-release for easy cleaning
- Water will not freeze during winter and warm during summer
- If you do not rinse well, there will be a weird taste
- The bite valve is a bit stiff and needs some effort to open
- The capacity is low at three liters
Last but not least is the Hydration Bladder 2 Liter Leak Proof Water Reservoir! It has a large opening which will make refilling it super easy. The large opening will also allow a hand or bottle brush to easily access the interior of this hydration bladder for easy cleaning!
This water bladder is taste-free, BPA-free, and made of 100% food-grade material, and will not make your water taste weird! It has a double sealing which makes it very durable and pressure-tolerant! The tube of the CHERAINTI Hydration Bladder 2 Liter Leak Proof Water Reservoir is resistant to temperature changes in hot and cold weather.
This hydration bladder is compatible with most hydration packs and will allow a free flow of water for easier drinking. It is 100% waterproof due to the on/off valves. The mouthpiece is soft, and you have to bite it to suck water! In addition, there is a dust cover to keep dust off the mouthpiece.
-Resistant to temperature changes
-The hydration bladder is compatible with most hydration packs
-The mouthpiece is a bit soft and can get worn out over time
-You may need to adjust your position to drink your water easily
Hydration bladder is a convenient and efficient way to stay hydrated during outdoor activities, particularly for longer periods and in situations where easy access to water is important.